Bowling Hood Search

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Tuesday Twitters

BOWLING HOOD hears from a good source that a summer league in St. Louis County ended its season with $5,000 missing from the prize fund. Reportedly, the league officers hid for two hours on the last night during league play before telling team captains. A fight broke out, cops were called. I promise to get to the bottom of this one!

###

BOWLING HOOD is back after bowling in the Petersen tournament at AMF Hoffman Estates in suburban Chicago. Result, 1410, the cash cut is 1492 as posted at the site. As always, I enjoyed bowling with PBA regional champ Darwin Skrzynecki and wife Diana, and seeing old friends, squad sponsor and 1983 PBA Rookie of the Year Toby Contreras and 2003 Super Hoinke champ Pete Fitzgeral.

It's a tournament EVERYONE should bowl, no matter your skill level. You'll never complain about an easy house shot again.

###

FUNERAL SERVICES have been announced for PBA Midwest champ Brian Kjergaard who died over the weekend in Waterloo, Ia.

The funeral service has been scheduled for Friday, Aug. 28 at 11 a.m. at the Chancy Lutheran Church, 2315 Wallace St. in Clinton, Ia.

Visitation for Mr. Krergaard is scheduled for Thursday, Aug. 27 from 3-8 p.m. at Pape Funeral Home, 2308 Pershing Blvd. in Clinton, Ia.

I'm stunned that the Clinton Herald did not report this story. 30 years ago, I worked my first job out of college in Sterling, Il., 30 miles from Clinton. The Herald then would have had published the information. I would have broadcast it as well.

Times change - not necessarily for the better.

###

Recently, I subbed in the Thursday Businessmen's league at Show Me Lanes. On the left pair was a bowler who looked familiar, but I couldn't place a name.

I finally learned it was Steve Giljum. I hadn't seen him in 21 years so it was no wonder I didn't recognize him.

Astute memories will recall his 1985 second place finish to David Ozio in the Miller Lite Open at Dick Weber Lanes. It was Ozio's first win on route to a Hall of Fame career. It also was the first year for Miller's sponsorship of that stop replacing Rolaids,
a longtime PBA supporter.

But the story of the day was the match between Giljum and Dick Weber. Had the late great one won, he would have been the oldest tour winner at age 55. That record is now held by John Handegard.

Now here's a real whopper of a story for me from that tournament. Also cashing was Joe Groskind, the 1978 PBA rookie of the year. How's that for a blast from the past? Joe and I were tight in the late 70's; he ran the pro shop at Paul Cerniglia's S.I. Bowl in Carterville, Il, just down the road from SIU-Carbondale where I was the coach and captain. Joe was a help to my game. I liked his quirky personality.

Anyone know where Joe is at these days? I'd love to know.

For my money, Steve was one of the five best bowlers in the 1980's out of St. Louis. He doesn't bowl as much now, but when bowling next to him, saw him adjust from 205 opener to shoot 278 and 277.

Good to see you again Steve

###

The St. Louis County Council votes tonight on the no smoking proposal (see below). My interview with Jeff Boje, USBC President and BPAA Board Director, will be posted later today.

###

We all know Jeff Carter's first PBA win was with plastic balls in Denver this year. BOWLING HOOD found out there is a plastic ball tournament coming up at Oasis Lanes in Union, Mo. It's Sunday, Sept. 6 (day before Labor Day), 9 a.m. 12 games, $50 entry fee, $700 added from a local business. Brackets and pots too. I've put this one in my calendar.

###

BOWLING HOOD return-to-fall-league tip: Get your bowling balls cleaned. Take 'em into a pro shop to get the oil taken out. Resurface them if more than 2 years old. But also check out the new stuff coming out. It keeps getting better and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment